Modification of child custody must be handled through courts

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Thursday, January 10, 2019.

Missouri parents would probably attest that they want the very best for their children. In situations where a court has put a custody order in place, it is no longer up to a parent to decide where a child primarily lives. Even if there is reason for a parent to think that a child would be better off living with himself or herself, instead of another party specified by the order, any changes must be made through a legal modification of child custody.

Recently, a Missouri case resulted in a mother and her live-in boyfriend being arrested. The trouble began last autumn, when the mother took her young son to her home for a visit. The mother and father of the child had shared custody of the boy, but the child was ordered to live primarily at the home of the father.

The child was never returned after this visit. State authorities were concerned the child may be missing or in danger and issued an advisory. When the boy was discovered to be hiding in his mother’s home, the mother was arrested and the boy was returned to his father.

It can be difficult for a parent to explain to a child that he or she must return to another parent’s home after a fun visit. Even if the child does not want to go, or a parent suspects a problem in the home, a parent can not decide to keep a child against a court order. A parent would need to file for a modification of child custody through a court, and in many cases, bringing an experienced attorney on board can help a parent with the legal process necessary to change child custody and remain within the confines of the law.

Related Posts