When life changes, you need modification of child custody

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Tuesday, November 7, 2017.

You lose hours at your job or get fired, and you do not want to fall behind on your child support payments. You need to move across the state or even out of Missouri altogether, but have a child custody arrangement with your ex. Life is not static, and there is no guarantee that things will stay exactly as they for years to come. When life changes, you might need a modification of child custody plans.

Even if both parents agree to a change in custody or child support, it is not legally binding unless a modification is approved by the family law court. Parents may petition the court for a modification to child support based on an increase or a decrease in either parents’ income. Without a court-ordered modification, you might be on the hook for back or missed payments.

Courts take modification to custody arrangements seriously, as these orders affect a child’s access to both parents. Parents who attempt to violate an agreement by moving to a different state without a modified agreement will likely jeopardize their time with their children. While moving out-of-state might be necessary for a job or other matter, parents should be sure to seek a formal modification first.

Failing to handle these matters correctly can have an unfortunate impact on your life. Although we understand that virtually all Missouri parents simply want to adequately care for their children, acting outside of court-ordered custody or support orders can create an unfavorable appearance. When seeking a modification of child custody or other family law matter, uncompromising representation can help ensure the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

Related Posts