Want to modify a child custody order? We can help

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Saturday, November 7, 2015.

There are many reasons why a parent may want to modify an existing custody arrangement. Perhaps you feel like the existing parenting plan is unfair or that the court got it wrong the first time around. Maybe your circumstances have changed, and you believe a new arrangement would be better. Whatever your reasons, we can help.

At Stange Law Firm, PC, we have assisted a number of parents in modifying child custody and visitation arrangements. In our experience, the best parenting plans are ones that are agreed upon by both parents. Not only do parents typically know what is best for their children, but they also walk away happier if they can agree rather than letting a judge make the decision for them. We can help you put the agreement in writing and file it with the court. Additionally, we will make sure that the agreement is clear and thorough.

Our firm can also help if you are not able to reach an agreement. This is known as a contested proceeding. Typically, it starts when one parent files a motion to modify. The case may go all the way to a contested hearing, where each parent can present his or her sides. We will be your advocate each step of the way.

The Stange Law Firm, PC was founded in 2007 and has been dedicated exclusively to the practice of family law ever since. As a result, our team is intimately familiar with family law matters both in Missouri and Illinois. We know what courts are looking for when deciding whether to modify a child custody order.

In order for a custody arrangement to be modified, there must be a substantial change in circumstances. Examples include relocation or major changes that impact a child, such as drug or alcohol abuse. Furthermore, courts focus on what is in a child’s best interests when making parenting time decisions. This depends on a number of factors, such as the child’s preferences, the physical and mental health of the parents, and child’s adjustment to the school and community.

With these goals in mind, we can put you a strong position for modification of the child custody or visitation order. To learn more about how we may be able to help you, please visit our page on child custody.

Related Posts